Davis Cup: Paes-Raja keep Indian hopes alive winning doubles rubber
New Delhi: Bringing in his wealth of experience, Leander Paes combined with debutant Purav Raja to keep India afloat by winning the do-or-die doubles rubber against Korea today but it would take a super heroic effort to save the hosts from a defeat in the Davis Cup tie.
Playing for the first time together, Paes and his 97th doubles partner Raja pipped Yong-Kyu Lim and debutant Ji Sung Nam 6-4 7-5 6-2 in a hard-fought contest that went on for two hours and 30 minutes.
The way Koreans played on the first day, the Indians knew it was not going to be an easy task to tame their super-fit rivals. And it was evident from the very first game in which Paes and Purav faced four breakpoints but managed to escape unscathed.
Given his limitations, Purav supported Paes well. More than the quality of his game, it was his gumption that caught everyone`s attention as he came across as someone who wanted to contribute to the country`s cause.
Paes, who is now nearing 40, is not as sharp as he used to be but his experience of playing 48 ties before bumping into this fit Korean team counted today.
It is for the second time in the six months that Paes has produced good result with a first-time partner. At London Olympics, the 39-year-old Indian star had played extremely well with Vishnu Vardhan.
Now India need V M Ranjeet and Vijayant Malik to pull of the reverse singles tomorrow in order to advance to the second round of the Asia|Oceania Group I tie.
However, it is too much to ask form the inexperienced players as the both Suk-Young Jeong and Min Hyeok Cho are far superior players -- both in fitness and game -- than the Indians.
Ranjeet will take on Cho while Malik, who conceded his singles against Jeong after a valiant fight, will clash with Jeong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey