Davis Cup: Ranjeet thrashed by Cho, South Korea lead 1-0
New Delhi: India`s Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan was hammered in the first singles by the unranked Min-Hyeok Cho as South Korea took a 1-0 lead in the Group I Asia/Oceania Davis Cup tie here Friday.
Ranjeet, who is India`s No.1 player for the tie, was thrashed 1-6, 0-6, 1-6 by the highly talented Min-Hyeok in a match that lasted 83 minutes at the R.K. Khanna Tennis Stadium.
Though Min-Hyeok is an unranked player, the Indian was no match for his class. The South Korean dominated from the baseline and toyed around with Ranjeet.
It was an erratic performance by the inexperienced Ranjeet, who was included in the side after some top players revolted against the All India Tennis Association (AITA) and made themselves unavailable for national duty.
Min-Hyeok, who is predominantly a doubles player, made the best use of his experience in thrashing the 27-year-old Indian.
Min-Hyeok said the play was to make Ranjeet work for the points.
"I was aware of the fact that he is an inexperienced player. So the ploy was to make him work hard for the points," he said.
In the second singles, greenhorn Vijayant Malik will face Suk-Young Jeong.
India are fielding an inexperienced team in the Davis Cup following a rebellion by senior players, led by Somdev Devvarman. Leander Paes is the only old face in the team.
Paes will be teaming up with rookie Purav Raja for the doubles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- MH370 search team raises prospect plane could lie elsewhere
- World's biggest online piracy site Kickass Torrents shut down, alleged owner arrested
- Tamil Nadu Budget 2016-17: All you need to know
- Need mix of fiscal, monetary policies to deal with Brexit: FM Jaitley
- Rio Olympics 2016: CAS rejects Russia appeal, bars athletes from mega event