Davis Cup: Somdev, Bhambri help India go two up against Indonesia on Day 1
Bangalore: Somdev Devvarman and Yuki Bhambri gave India a rollicking start as they posted straight-set wins in their respective matches to put the hosts 2-0 ahead in the Asia-Oceanic Davis Cup Group I first-round relegation play-off tie against Indonesia here on Friday.
Somdev defeated Wisnu Adi Nugroho of Indonesia 6-1 6-2 6-2 while Yuki saw off Christopher Rungkat 6-3 6-2 6-3 at the Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association Stadium.
Somdev did not have to face much of a competition from Wisnu, but Yuki had to earn his points against Indonesia`s number one player.
Yuki broke Rungkat twice each in all the three sets, which helped him in overcoming his competent opponent.
In the first singles match, Somdev defeated Wisnu, allowing India to grab a 1-0 lead.
It was a satisfying display by India`s number one player as he easily demolished his rival in 90 minutes.
Indonesian captain Hendri Susilo Pramono`s decision to field Wisnu proved disastrous as the 19-year-old failed to make any impact against the India number one.
Somdev said since he was playing Wisnu for the first time, he studied his movements on the field and adjusted to the game accordingly.
Wisnu showed signs of aggression, but could not live up to it and in the process, lost to the Indian 6-1 in the first set, which lasted over 30 minutes.
"Wisnu approached the net but nothing materialised as I prevailed over him with winners on either side of the court," Somdev said.
Somdev smashed his way through in the second and third sets.
Somdev utilised his rival`s unforced errors to his advantage and pocketed the match after he served an ace on set point to end Wisnu`s misery.
In the second match, Yuki played his rallies to perfection and never looked to miss the ball. He overwhelmed Rungkat in a battle which lasted for nearly two hours.
After winning the first set 6-3, Yuki appeared ominous, making Rungkat stretch for the returns on either side of the court. The sheer timing and pace in the shots shook the Indonesian`s concentration and he won the second set 6-2.
The first-set win boosted Yuki`s confidence and he began playing aggressive tennis. As a result, Rungkat gifted away the points through many unforced errors.
Yuki broke twice in the third set pouring water onto Rungkat`s hopes of a win. The latter played far too many extravagant shots with most of them landing out.
Yuki brought up his win with two stunning aces which Rungkat failed to reach.
Rungkat could not rally himself at crucial stages to break through the gates of Yuki. He played hard tennis swishing the ball back and across, but Yuki was equal to task in scripting winners on either side of the court.
Tomorrow, Leander Paes and Sanam Singh will take on David Agung Susanto and Elbert Sie in the doubles rubber.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow