Davis Cup: Yuki Bhambri gives India 1-0 lead
Chandigarh: Yuki Bhambri fought back from two sets down to give India a 1-0 lead against New Zealand on the opening day of the Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Group I play-off here Friday.
Bhambri won 3-6, 0-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 against Daniel King-Turner at the Chandigarh Lawn Tennis Association (CLTA) stadium after rain delayed the start of the first singles.
After losing the first two sets easily, the 20-year-old turned the tables on his opponent.
In the decider, India got a break early and were 4-2 up when Bhambri broke his more experienced opponent again.
While serving for victory, the Delhi boy finished off the match with a cross-court forehand.
Later in the day, the 25-year-old Vishnu Vardhan will face Jose Statham, who is ranked 317 in the world, in the second singles match of the day.
This was Bhambri`s third win out of four Davis Cup appearances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Indian Cricket Coach Selection: Ravi Shastri 'done' with Indian cricket team, wants to move on
- Chancellor Angela Merkel tells Britain no 'cherry-picking' in Brexit talks
- Shiv Sena questions Modi over his black money promise
- Water tanker scam: ACB trying to arrest me, says Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra
- Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya's bail plea rejected — What NIA court said