Davydenko makes shock first-round exit
Malaysia: Russia`s Nikolay Davydenko blamed a wrist injury for his shock first-round defeat at the Malaysian Open on Tuesday.
The world No. 45, who won the tournament in its inaugural year in 2009, said he has been suffering from the injury for some time but ATP rules did not allow him to withdraw.
He lost 6-3, 6-4 to Uruguay`s Pablo Cuevas.
Davydenko said he may also face a first-round defeat at the China Open in Beijing next week.
"I`m not feeling good. I have a wrist injury. It will take six, seven or nine weeks to heal. I`m not sure when it will be better," he said.
"I will withdraw from the doubles here.
"Because of the ATP rules, I couldn`t pull out. I will take a rest and see how it goes. I will probably go to Beijing and maybe lose in the first round there as well."
World No. 457 Cuevas, who has hardly played in the last two years due to a knee injury, claimed only his second tour victory of the year in his fifth tournament of 2013.
"I`ve hardly played the last two years because of my knee injuries. That is why I fell to below 1,000 in the world rankings," he said.
"Even this year I didn`t play in many tournaments. I played more doubles matches and reached the French Open doubles semi-finals."
Cuevas saved six of seven break points as he defeated former world No. 3 Davydenko in just 84 minutes.
Cuevas will face Ryan Harrison or last week`s St. Petersburg Open semi-finalist Joao Sousa later this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Jan Dhan accounts “very vulnerable” to frauds: RBI
- Vijay Mallya PMLA case: ED to invoke India-UK MLAT for extradition
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 1: RCB vs GL - Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- BJP govt cannot turn a blind eye to illegal immigration in Assam: RSS
- CBSE announces results of Central Teacher Eligibility Test