Davydenko ousted in Montpellier
Moscow: Fifth seed Nikolay Davydenko was eliminated by Finland`s Jarkko Nieminen in the second round of the Open Sud de France Wednesday.
Davydenko, playing his first match of the tournament after a first-round bye, has now lost three of his last four matches following the 6-3, 7-6(8) defeat to world No. 67 Nieminen.
The Russian put up resistance in the second set to break Nieminen as he served for the match and then to save three match points, but he only managed to delay the inevitable.
Davydenko is the highest seed to fall so far in Montpellier. Ninth seed Paul-Henri Mathieu was earlier knocked out by Ukraine`s Sergiy Stakhovsky.
In the quarterfinals, Nieminen will play either Stakhovsky or the winner of the first-round clash between Japan`s Tatsuma Ito and local favourite Edouard Roger-Vasselin.
The Montpellier tournament is played on indoor hard courts and has a 410,000 euros prize fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened