Davydenko upsets Ferrer to make Doha final
Doha: Russia`s Nikolay Davydenko stunned world No.5 David Ferrer in straight sets in the semifinal of the Qatar Open tennis here.
Davydenko, ranked 44th in the world, reached his third final in Qatar in the last four years and his first final since winning in Munich in May 2011.
"Physically I was strong. My concentration was good," said Davydenko on the ATP website after Friday`s victory.
"I fought for every point. Second set was a little bit tougher. I would like to beat everybody who is in the Top 10. It doesn`t matter if I`m not there."
In the search for his 22nd ATP title, the 31-year-old Russian will face second seed Richard Gasquet of France, who ended an improbable run for German qualifier Daniel Brands with a 7-5, 7-5 win.
"I will try to do my best," Gasquet said.
"I don`t know what I can do this year. But in every match, I will try to fight, I will try to prepare better for the Grand Slams and win some tournaments. To start in Doha with the final is important."
The $1 million Doha tournament is a warm-up event for the Australian Open later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Olympics 2016: Ban Russians from all Rio sports - US anti-doping boss
- Facebook's solar-powered internet plane Aquila takes maiden flight!- Watch
- Flood warning issued in areas near Cauvery river in Tamil Nadu
- AAP has become shelter of comedians not having ideology, says BJP
- Bhagwant Mann must be refrained from entering into Parliament: JD(U)