Davydenko upsets Ferrer to make Doha final
Doha: Russia`s Nikolay Davydenko stunned world No.5 David Ferrer in straight sets in the semifinal of the Qatar Open tennis here.
Davydenko, ranked 44th in the world, reached his third final in Qatar in the last four years and his first final since winning in Munich in May 2011.
"Physically I was strong. My concentration was good," said Davydenko on the ATP website after Friday`s victory.
"I fought for every point. Second set was a little bit tougher. I would like to beat everybody who is in the Top 10. It doesn`t matter if I`m not there."
In the search for his 22nd ATP title, the 31-year-old Russian will face second seed Richard Gasquet of France, who ended an improbable run for German qualifier Daniel Brands with a 7-5, 7-5 win.
"I will try to do my best," Gasquet said.
"I don`t know what I can do this year. But in every match, I will try to fight, I will try to prepare better for the Grand Slams and win some tournaments. To start in Doha with the final is important."
The $1 million Doha tournament is a warm-up event for the Australian Open later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside