Del Potro out of Miami with wrist injury
London: Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro withdrew from the ATP Miami hardcourt tournament on Wednesday, citing the left wrist injury that has nagged him for several weeks.
The eighth-seeded Argentina star, who has been forced to pull out or retire in his past three events, was replaced in the 96-man field by German lucky loser Benjamin Becker.
"I still feel pain in my left wrist and I don`t feel competitive to go on court," Del Potro said.
"It`s a pity because this is a special tournament for me since there are many Latin fans and Argentines in particular.
"In the next few days I will visit my doctor again to determine the following steps."
Del Potro also withdrew from the ATP hardcourt event at Indian Wells earlier this month.
World number one Rafael Nadal, three-time Miami champion Novak Djokovic and Australian Open champion Stanislas Wawrinka are the top seeds.
Two-time Miami winner Roger Federer is seeded fifth while reigning champion Andy Murray, who split with coach Ivan Lendl on Wednesday, is the sixth seed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test