Del Potro out of Miami with wrist injury
London: Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro withdrew from the ATP Miami hardcourt tournament on Wednesday, citing the left wrist injury that has nagged him for several weeks.
The eighth-seeded Argentina star, who has been forced to pull out or retire in his past three events, was replaced in the 96-man field by German lucky loser Benjamin Becker.
"I still feel pain in my left wrist and I don`t feel competitive to go on court," Del Potro said.
"It`s a pity because this is a special tournament for me since there are many Latin fans and Argentines in particular.
"In the next few days I will visit my doctor again to determine the following steps."
Del Potro also withdrew from the ATP hardcourt event at Indian Wells earlier this month.
World number one Rafael Nadal, three-time Miami champion Novak Djokovic and Australian Open champion Stanislas Wawrinka are the top seeds.
Two-time Miami winner Roger Federer is seeded fifth while reigning champion Andy Murray, who split with coach Ivan Lendl on Wednesday, is the sixth seed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video