Del Potro to undergo wrist surgery
Juan Martin del Potro will undergo surgery Monday on his troublesome left wrist after a visit to his US doctors in Minnesota, the player announced.
The Argentine world number eight has been bothered by the problem since early January when he first felt pain in an opening match at the Australian Open a few days after winning the Sydney tournament title.
He withdrew from events in Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami.
"After a period of medical treatment which we tried to be competitive on a tennis court, and following new examinations done today, my doctor Richard Berger decided that I should have surgery to fix the problem on my left wrist," Del Potro said on his Facebook page.
"It is not an easy decision, it is not the happiest moment of my career. I experienced a similar situation and I know how hard it is to be out of the tour."
It is unknown how long he will be out of the sport. Del Potro underwent an operation on his right wrist after winning the US Open in 2009 and missed much of the next season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor