Del Potro to undergo wrist surgery
Juan Martin del Potro will undergo surgery Monday on his troublesome left wrist after a visit to his US doctors in Minnesota, the player announced.
The Argentine world number eight has been bothered by the problem since early January when he first felt pain in an opening match at the Australian Open a few days after winning the Sydney tournament title.
He withdrew from events in Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami.
"After a period of medical treatment which we tried to be competitive on a tennis court, and following new examinations done today, my doctor Richard Berger decided that I should have surgery to fix the problem on my left wrist," Del Potro said on his Facebook page.
"It is not an easy decision, it is not the happiest moment of my career. I experienced a similar situation and I know how hard it is to be out of the tour."
It is unknown how long he will be out of the sport. Del Potro underwent an operation on his right wrist after winning the US Open in 2009 and missed much of the next season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia