Del Potro, Tsonga march into Shanghai semi-finals
Juan Martin del Potro kept his errors to a minimum as the Argentine breezed past Spain`s Nicolas Almagro 6-3 6-3 to march into the semi-finals of the Shanghai Open on Friday.
Del Potro, seeded sixth, had also defeated Almagro in last week`s Japan Open semi-finals and now needs one more victory to seal his spot for the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals in London next month.
The Argentine, who was suffering from fever during the earlier stages of the hard-court tournament, committed just eight unforced errors during his win and faced a single break point, which he went on the save.
"I played very well today, very solid," del Potro told reporters. "I played aggressive. I hit my forehand very well.
"I like the way I played today. I just want to keep improving (and) keep going far in this tournament."
Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga also took a positive step towards confirming his spot for London with a comfortable 6-2 6-3 win against German Florian Mayer on Friday.
World number three Andy Murray`s withdrawal from the Tour Finals due to injury has meant anyone finishing ninth or better in the race to London will qualify for the prestigious season-ending tournament.
Top seed Novak Djokovic, who lost his world number one ranking to Rafa Nadal on Monday, will take on France`s Gael Monfils for a place in the last four.
Spain`s Nadal, who last week lost to Djokovic in the China Open final, faces Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka in the other last-eight clash on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says