Dementieva beats struggling Petrova to reach last four
Paris: Elena Dementieva recovered from a sticky start to beat fellow Russian Nadia Petrova and reach the semi-finals of the French Open on Tuesday.
The two baseliners renewed a professional rivalry dating back to 1997 on a rainy Court Suzanne Lenglen and it was fifth seed Dementieva who played the sharper tennis after losing the opening three games to record a 2-6, 6-2, 6-0 victory.
Both players received treatment for thigh injuries midway through the opening set and Petrova, who knocked out Venus Williams in the previous round, needed more attention after Dementieva levelled the match.
A confident Dementieva cruised through the deciding set as Petrova struggled to move properly, wrapping up victory with a forehand down the line after two hours and five minutes.
The 28-year-old Dementieva has now reached nine semi-finals but is yet to win one of the four grand slams. She faces Italy`s Francesca Schiavone in the last four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy alleges Raghuram Rajan 'leaking sensitive information', must be sacked
- Witness woman power in full glory in 'Housefull 3'! Watch video
- Guess who just got Rs 48 lakh Jaguar car - Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan!
- Watch: Incredible view of the Suez Canal, Egypt!
- Now, anyone can meet PM Narendra Modi – know how