Did not expect to trail 0-2: SP Misra
Tokyo: With India staring down the barrel, Davis Cup captain S P Misra on Friday said he had not expected his side to trail 0-2 on the opening day of their World Group play-off tie against Japan.
India`s biggest hope, Somdev Devvarman suffered a surprise straight-set defeat against Yuichi Sugita and then, Rohan Bopanna met the same fate at the hands of Kei Nishikori to end the day on a disappointing note.
"We had a tough day today. The Japanese boys played very well and deserved to win. We didn`t foresee being down 0-2. (Somdev) Devvarman`s injury was clearly bothering him. He just could not hit the ball well," Misra said.
India`s non-playing captain, though, did not want to sound pessimist.
"Being down 2-0 is a tough position for us. We will have to take it one match at a time from now starting with the doubles," Misra said.
Bopanna praised Nishikori for playing an outstanding game.
"He is playing at a high level. He is really quick. I think he is playing like a top 30 player. He was fantastic," Bopanna said.
Nishikori felt that Sugita`s upset win over Somdev helped him play without any pressure.
"Sugita`s victory took a lot of pressure off me. I returned well today, especially on his second serve. I knew I coculd beat him if I played my game," he said.
"My win makes it 2-0 and puts us very close to what we are striving for," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah