Dimitrov beats Rosol for Bucharest title
Bucharest: Bulgaria`s Grigor Dimitrov won his second ATP title of the year on Sunday when he defeated Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic 7-6 (7/2), 6-1 in the final of the Bucharest Open.
Ranked 16th in the world going into this week, Dimitrov, who previously had won in Acapulco where he defeated Andy Murray in the semi-finals, struggled against the big-hitting Rosol in the first set.
The Bulgarian took a 2-0 lead in what was the pair`s first meeting, but defending champion Rosol bounced back immediately.
Rosol saved four set points from 15/40 at 5-6, before Dimitrov dominated the tie-break to wrap up the first set in 58 minutes.
He then maintained the momentum by taking a 2-0 lead in the second set and broke Rosol for a third time, to love at 1-3 as he moved on to his 20th match win of 2014.
"It feels good to have won," said Dimitrov who now has three career titles.
"I knew I had to lift my level, especially after the first set. Lukas is a very good player, who hit some outstanding winners.
"I have worked really hard to start winning titles. I have put in enough effort, time and sacrifices to get here."
Dimitrov had reached the final on Saturday when his French opponent, Gael Monfils, retired after just 16 minutes of their semi-final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place