Divij-Purav make winning start at Mexico Challenger event
New Delhi: Aiming their second title of the season, Divij Sharan and Purav Raja made a confident start at the ATP Challenger event in Guadalajara, defeating Marco Chiudinelli and Yuichi Sugita in straight sets.
The unseeded Indian pair, who were runners-up last week at Leon, won 6-4 6-2 against the Swiss-Japanese combo in the first round of the USD 100,000 hard court event.
The Indians pocketed the first set after breaking Sugita`s serve in the third game. In the second set, they further imposed themselves on the opponents with back-to-back breaks -- fifth and seventh games.
Serving well throughout the match helped the winners` cause well as the Indian team did not face even a single break point. They won 84 percent points on first serve and 77 percent on second serves.
In all they won 57 points to 38 of their rivals.
However, they have a tough task at hand as they face third seeded formidable pair of Rajeev Ram and Benjamin Becker in the quarter-finals tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok