Divij-Purav make winning start at Mexico Challenger event
New Delhi: Aiming their second title of the season, Divij Sharan and Purav Raja made a confident start at the ATP Challenger event in Guadalajara, defeating Marco Chiudinelli and Yuichi Sugita in straight sets.
The unseeded Indian pair, who were runners-up last week at Leon, won 6-4 6-2 against the Swiss-Japanese combo in the first round of the USD 100,000 hard court event.
The Indians pocketed the first set after breaking Sugita`s serve in the third game. In the second set, they further imposed themselves on the opponents with back-to-back breaks -- fifth and seventh games.
Serving well throughout the match helped the winners` cause well as the Indian team did not face even a single break point. They won 84 percent points on first serve and 77 percent on second serves.
In all they won 57 points to 38 of their rivals.
However, they have a tough task at hand as they face third seeded formidable pair of Rajeev Ram and Benjamin Becker in the quarter-finals tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- PM Modi condoles former Singapore President Nathan's death
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'
- Watch: Pune bakery workers forced to do sit-ups for refusing to pay donation for Ganesh festival
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Assam