Divij, Raja qualify for Wimbledon doubles main draw
London: Divij Sharan and Purav Raja will make their first ever appearance at a Grand Slam as the Indian duo on Wednesday qualified for the Wimbledon men`s doubles event.
Seeded fourth in the qualifying event, left-handed Divij and Purav received a walkover from their second round opponents, Andreas Haider-Maurer from Austria and Jiri Vesely of Czech Republic.
The Indian representation has increased at the Wimbledon with Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna already there in the men`s doubles event.
It is a big career boost for Divij and Raja, who are regular partners on the Challenger Tour.
This season they have made four finals, winning the Kyoto event and ending runners-up at Nottingham, Johannesburg and Leon, Mexio.
Both have played one Davis Cup tie each in the absence of star players.
Divij had played against New Zealand in Chandigarh, where he combined with Vishnu Vardhan for the doubles rubber.
Raja had played against South Korea in New Delhi in company of Leander Paes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31