Divij, Raja qualify for Wimbledon doubles main draw
London: Divij Sharan and Purav Raja will make their first ever appearance at a Grand Slam as the Indian duo on Wednesday qualified for the Wimbledon men`s doubles event.
Seeded fourth in the qualifying event, left-handed Divij and Purav received a walkover from their second round opponents, Andreas Haider-Maurer from Austria and Jiri Vesely of Czech Republic.
The Indian representation has increased at the Wimbledon with Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna already there in the men`s doubles event.
It is a big career boost for Divij and Raja, who are regular partners on the Challenger Tour.
This season they have made four finals, winning the Kyoto event and ending runners-up at Nottingham, Johannesburg and Leon, Mexio.
Both have played one Davis Cup tie each in the absence of star players.
Divij had played against New Zealand in Chandigarh, where he combined with Vishnu Vardhan for the doubles rubber.
Raja had played against South Korea in New Delhi in company of Leander Paes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- Erdogan says EU `biased and prejudiced` towards Turkey after coup bid
- Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader appeals sentence
- Cambodia blocking ASEAN consensus on South China Sea: Diplomat
- Turkey can hold suspects without charge for up to 30 days
- Piramal Enterprises to raise Rs 300 cr via non-convertible debentures