Divij, Raja win first Tour title in Bogota
Bogota (Colombia): The fast rising Indian pair of Divij Sharan and Purav Raja clinched its first ever ATP tour level title with a hard-fought win over Edouard Roger-Vasselin and Igor Sijsling in the summit clash of the Claro Open.
The fourth seeded Indians defeated the second-seed French-Dutch combination 7-6(4)7-6(3) in the final of the USD 638,085 hard court event.
Divij and Purav were playing their first ever ATP Tour level tournament together after grinding on the Challenger Tour for quite some time.
The victory was worth 250 ranking points each and USD 35,000 for the two players.
"It`s out first ATP World Tour title. It is really Very special feeling. Hopefully we can build on from here," Divij said after the win.
The victory speaks a lot as Sijsling had made finals at Australian Open and Vasselin had appeared in the Wimbledon semifinals.
Divij and Raja were down 3-5 in the first set but came back to win the first set via tie breaker.
The second set was too fought fiercely as while serving for match at 5-3 Divij`s serve was broken and again the issue was settled in tie-breaker.
The Indians won 73 points to 84 of their rivals but won more crucial points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Delhi: Dance instructor commits suicide after strangling suspected lover
- It was a joke: Irrfan on 'Kabali' poster comment
- Salman Khan's brand new 'Sultan' poster is brutal and adrenaline-pumping! – View pic
- Sensex rallies 216 points on 7th Pay Commission approval, GST hopes
- Euro 2016: Can Iceland emulate Leicester City's fairytale and go all the way?