Divij records 1st ATP Tour win, Prakash crashes out
Newport: Divij Sharan recorded his first ever ATP Tour level win when he along with partner Ivo Karlovic saved five match points to advance to the second round of the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships even as Prakash Amritraj crashed out of the singles event.
Divij, who made his Grand Slam debut at Wimbledon, and Karlovic got the better of the Ukrainian pair of Illya Marchenko and Denys Molchanov 4-6 7-6(1) 11-9 in the opening round of the USD 455,775 grass court event.
Karlovic is playing his first tournament after recovering from viral meningitis. In the singles, Prakash Amritraj suffered mauling at the hands of former world number one Lleyton Hewitt, losing his second round match 2-6 1-6. The Australian broke Amritraj six times while saving seven of the eight chances he faced.
Divij and big-serving Karlovic had two break chances in the first two service games of their opponents but could not convert and lost both at deuce.Divij was broken in the fifth game at deuce. Both teams went on to hold serve after that and the Ukrainians pocketed the set, riding on that break.
The Indo-Croatian again squandered a break chance in the 11th game of the second set, which was eventually decided via tie-breaker. Divij and Karlovic raced to a 6-0 lead before winning the tie break 7-1.
In the match tie break, Divij and Karlovic were staring down the barrel, down 4-9, but saved five match points and won seven points in a row to win 11-9.
They play quarter-finals against Adil Shamasdin of Canada nd John-Patrick Smith of Australia, shocked third seeds James Blake and Rajeev Ram of USA.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living