Djokovic angry at Madrid`s blue clay court
Madrid: World No.1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic criticised the condition of the blue clay playing surface in the Mutua Madrid Open after his 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 win over Daniel Gimero-Trimero.
Djorkovic struggled in the second set and was visibly annoyed after slipping twice at the start of the third set, which he finally won 6-3 Tuesday.
The Serb complained to the match umpire that the surface was too wet after he had slipped and was clearly angry on court and irritated when he turned up to his press conference, reports Xinhua.
"It was impossible to move, all I could do was return the ball in the best way possible," he said. "Next time I am going to wear some football boots," said Djokovic, adding that it maybe a good idea to call on Hollywood hardman actor Chuck Norris to help him out in his next match.
"There is nothing similar with the red clay courts, this is much more slippery. When you slip on a red court you can stop and get up, here you just slip. All of the players I have spoken to say the same and they (the organisers) have not taken the opinion of the players into account. We should be the protagonists in this competition and we have been ignored," complained Djokovic.
A day earlier Djokovic had been more diplomatic talking about the surface. "It is interesting and we will see what happens, but there are differences when it is compared to red clay."
"The big disappointment is that it was decided to use it without the agreement of the players. Neither I nor any top player has tested it and there should be some value given to what we say. I hope there are no injuries and it is a good week," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO