Djokovic beats Murray for Shanghai title
Shanghai: World No.2 Novak Djokovic saved five championship points to beat Andy Murray in the final of the Shanghai Masters Sunday.
The 5-7, 7-6(11), 6-3 win brought a maiden Shanghai crown for the Serbian tennis star, who captured his second title in as many weeks after beating Jo-Wifried Tsonga in Beijing final last week.
It was also one of the most dramatic comeback victories of his illustrious career.
Murray served for the match at 5-4 in the second set, but the dogged Djokovic broke serve after winning Murray`s championship point, taking the set to a tie-break.
Djokovic, who lost to Murray in the Olympics semi-final and the final of the US Open, went on to save an incredible four more championship points to win the tie-break 13-11.
With the Scot morally defeated, Djokovic took the final set 6-3 for the title and to go 9-7 up in head-to-head meetings.
To reach the final, Murray completed a 6-4, 6-4 victory over top seed Roger Federer, while Djokovic saw off Tomas Berdych 6-3, 6-4.
Earlier Sunday, Leander Paes of India and Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic won the doubles tournament as they claimed a 6-7(7-9), 6-3, 10-5 comeback victory over Indian pairing Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna.
The prize fund for the Shanghai Masters tournament is $3.5 million.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?