Djokovic beats Murray for Shanghai title
Shanghai: World No.2 Novak Djokovic saved five championship points to beat Andy Murray in the final of the Shanghai Masters Sunday.
The 5-7, 7-6(11), 6-3 win brought a maiden Shanghai crown for the Serbian tennis star, who captured his second title in as many weeks after beating Jo-Wifried Tsonga in Beijing final last week.
It was also one of the most dramatic comeback victories of his illustrious career.
Murray served for the match at 5-4 in the second set, but the dogged Djokovic broke serve after winning Murray`s championship point, taking the set to a tie-break.
Djokovic, who lost to Murray in the Olympics semi-final and the final of the US Open, went on to save an incredible four more championship points to win the tie-break 13-11.
With the Scot morally defeated, Djokovic took the final set 6-3 for the title and to go 9-7 up in head-to-head meetings.
To reach the final, Murray completed a 6-4, 6-4 victory over top seed Roger Federer, while Djokovic saw off Tomas Berdych 6-3, 6-4.
Earlier Sunday, Leander Paes of India and Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic won the doubles tournament as they claimed a 6-7(7-9), 6-3, 10-5 comeback victory over Indian pairing Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna.
The prize fund for the Shanghai Masters tournament is $3.5 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy
- Sachin Tendulkar's latest tweet proves that wherever he goes, India follows - See pic inside!
- Viral video: Kapil Sharma’s take on ‘Angrezipanti’ will make you respect your mother tongue even more