Djokovic breezes through at Indian Wells
Indian Wells: World number one Novak Djokovic eased into the third round of the Indian Wells ATP tournament with a commanding 6-3, 6-2 victory over Kazakhstan qualifier Andrey Golubev on Saturday.
The top-seeded Serb, champion here in 2008 and last year, broke his opponent`s serve twice in each set to triumph in one hour 20 minutes.
"It was a good start," Djokovic said in a courtside interview after sealing the win with a powerful first serve that forced a wild backhand error by his 145th-ranked opponent.
"We didn`t play a beautiful match and there were a lot of unforced errors but look, it`s the opening match of the tournament for me and I am getting used to the conditions and the court.”
"Hopefully the next match will be better," added the Serb, who won his fifth grand slam crown at the Australian Open in January.
Djokovic, who beat Spaniard Rafa Nadal in last year`s final, will next face South African Kevin Anderson, who benefited from a walkover when Germany`s Philipp Kohlschreiber withdrew due to an unspecified illness.
British world number four Andy Murray, runner-up at Indian Wells in 2009, was scheduled to play his second-round match against Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez later on Saturday.
Earlier, Czech Tomas Berdych advanced with a 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 win over Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky while American Andy Roddick clawed his way back to beat Poland`s Lukasz Kubot 4-6, 7-6, 6-3.
Roddick, a break down and trailing 4-5 in the second set, was in danger of losing the match when he suddenly found form with his service returns to take control.
"That was all the difference," said Roddick, whose world ranking of 31st is his lowest since August 2001. "I had to have hit 10 winner returns from that point from being down in the second.”
"I started putting pressure on every service game he had and broke like four times from then from not breaking at all for the first hour and 45 (minutes) I was out there.”
"It was like a line in the sand. It went from terrible to good, for whatever reason."
Former world number one Roddick will take on Berdych in the third round.
"We know each other pretty well," he said of the Czech. "We`ve played a lot over the last couple of years. I think I`ve gotten him more than he`s gotten me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now