Djokovic moves on to semis after Tipsarevic retires
New York: Top seed Novak Djokovic advanced to the semifinals of the US Open when his Serbian Davis Cup teammate Janko Tipsarevic retired in the fourth set of their quarterfinal on Thursday.
World number one Djokovic was leading 7-6, 6-7, 6-0, 3-0 when Tipsarevic, who had his leg strapped during the match, quit after three hours, 27 minutes of play at Arthur Ashe Stadium.
"Congratulations to Janko for a fantastic tournament and a great effort today," Djokovic told the centre court audience. "He`s a great friend of mine and it`s not easy to play against him today."
Djokovic said he realised his compatriot was in trouble after the first two hotly-contested tie-breaker sets. The top seed won the first tie-break 7-2, and lost the second 7-3.
"I sensed when I made a break in the third set that he lost a lot of pace on his first serve and was not able to move so well," the Serb added.
Djokovic also gave onlookers a scare when he doubled over and called for the trainer after making a spectacular sliding forehand winner in the first game of the fourth set.
After getting the big toe on his left foot treated and bandaged, Djokovic went back to business before the 20th-seeded Tipsarevic signalled he had had enough.
"My left toe is bleeding," explained Australian Open and Wimbledon champion Djokovic. "These things happen all the time when you`re sliding like I do."
Djokovic will meet the winner of Thursday`s night match between five-time Open winner Roger Federer and France`s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble