Djokovic, Nadal qualify for ATP World Tour Finals
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
London: Top ranked players Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal have qualified for the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Djokovic, who wrested the top spot in ATP ranking from Nadal after winning his seventh Grand Slam championship at Wimbledon, have already won the tournament three-times in 2008 (Shanghai), 2012 and 2013 (London).
The Spaniard lost to Djokovic in the 2013 Finals. It was his second runners-up finish after losing to Roger Federer in the 2010 Finals in London. This is one of the few major titles Rafa hasn`t won in his glittering career. With Djokovic, he is the first player to book a berth for the elite eight-player tournament for this edition. He will be playing for the 10th straight year in the tournament.
In the doubles, imperious Bryan brothers – Bob and Mike, have qualified for the tournament and will look to win the tournament for the fourth time. They finished the 2013 edition as runners-up after losing to the Spaniard pair of David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco in three gruelling sets at the O2 Arena. The American brothers have won the title in 2003, 2004 and 2009. They have qualified for the 13th consecutive time.
This year`s season finale will be held from November 9-16 at the O2 Arena. Since 2009, O2 Arena`s indoor stadium has been hosting the event non-stop. Before it`s London stop, the tournament – which was previously known as the Tennis Masters Cup, was held in Shanghai for four years from 2005 to 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert