Djokovic wins in Rome on return from injury
Rome: Novak Djokovic enjoyed a comfortable return from a wrist injury by beating Radek Stepanek 6-3 7-5 on Tuesday at the Italian Open where Roger Federer will return to action after his wife gave birth to twins.
Federer, who plays his opening match on Wednesday, said he had decided to compete in Rome after talking to his wife, Mirka, who gave birth to their second set of twins last week.
"They all said I should quickly come and play here," said world number four Federer, who had been expected to miss Rome after pulling out of last week`s Madrid Open to be present at the birth of his sons.
"So I was, like, `OK, if you don`t want me around I`ll go away`."
Djokovic, the second seed, missed the Madrid Open through injury but appeared in good condition on his return to action.
The Serb, watched by new coach Boris Becker, dropped serve three times but was still too strong for his Czech opponent.
He will play German Philipp Kohlschreiber or Spain`s Tommy Robredo in the last 16.
Rafa Nadal and Andy Murray will join Federer in action on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened