Djokovic wins third China Open title
Beijing: World No.2 Novak Djokovic from Serbia captured his third China Open tennis title after edging out Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga here Sunday.
Djokovic`s earlier triumphs here came in 2009 and 2010. The 25-year-old took one hour and 45 minutes to claim a 7-6(4), 6-2 victory, Xinhua reports.
"I am planning to come back to the China Open next year," Djokovic was quoted as saying by the ATP website.
"It has been one of my most successful tournaments. This is where I love to play. I love the conditions and, as I mentioned before, I have lots of support from the fans who are very loyal and very nice."
The opening set was very close, with Tsonga good at serving and registering seven aces while Djokovic looking more tactical. After exchanging breaks in the fifth and sixth games, both players held serve until the set was forced into a tiebreak.
In the deciding tiebreak, Djokovic stormed to a 3-0 lead, and Tsonga stayed calm and pulled within 4-3. After that, Tsonga was inconsistent and made a couple of deadly unforced errors before Djokovic took the first set at 7-4.
With one set in hand, Djokovic started to call the shots in the second set while Tsonga, despite powering out nine more aces, found it hard to hold serve. After breaking in the third and fifth games, Djokovic never looked back.
Earlier, American Mike Bryan overtook Australian Todd Woodbridge`s mark of 83 career doubles titles when he, alongside brother Bob, beat Argentine Carlos Berlocq and Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan 6-3, 6-2 for their third title here in four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price