Dope tests for Nadal, Ferrer in middle of doubles
Seville: Spanish stars Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer were forced to undergo doping tests on Saturday right in the middle of the Davis Cup final doubles clash that they were watching from the sidelines.
Nadal and Ferrer had to leave the action, where team-mates Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco were losing to Argentina`s David Nalbandian and Eduardo Schwank, after being summoned by drug testers.
"We have said that we are happy with the tests and controls so that there is a clean sport because nobody wants to play against a doped player, but there are different ways of doing things," said Verdasco.
"I don`t think it`s nice that during a game they take colleagues out to go to a test. They could wait until the end of the match, and they could have allowed them to cheer us and then do the test afterwards."
Drug testing has already caused ructions at the final, which Spain lead 2-1 after they lost Saturday`s doubles.
On Thursday, Argentina`s squad was woken early to undergo doping tests.
"Today was a rest day for us but we didn`t get any rest," complained Argentina captain Tito Vazquez.
Nadal came out in support of Spain`s rivals.
"All athletes want sport to be clean, but that`s not the way to go about it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'