Dope tests for Nadal, Ferrer in middle of doubles
Seville: Spanish stars Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer were forced to undergo doping tests on Saturday right in the middle of the Davis Cup final doubles clash that they were watching from the sidelines.
Nadal and Ferrer had to leave the action, where team-mates Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco were losing to Argentina`s David Nalbandian and Eduardo Schwank, after being summoned by drug testers.
"We have said that we are happy with the tests and controls so that there is a clean sport because nobody wants to play against a doped player, but there are different ways of doing things," said Verdasco.
"I don`t think it`s nice that during a game they take colleagues out to go to a test. They could wait until the end of the match, and they could have allowed them to cheer us and then do the test afterwards."
Drug testing has already caused ructions at the final, which Spain lead 2-1 after they lost Saturday`s doubles.
On Thursday, Argentina`s squad was woken early to undergo doping tests.
"Today was a rest day for us but we didn`t get any rest," complained Argentina captain Tito Vazquez.
Nadal came out in support of Spain`s rivals.
"All athletes want sport to be clean, but that`s not the way to go about it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!