Easy win for Yuki, Vishnu knocks out Ranjeet in ITF
New Delhi: Top seed Yuki Bhambri had an easy outing against an erratic Shonigmatjon Shofayziyev while Vishnu Vardhan was impressive in his comeback trail as he knocked out sixth seed V M Ranjeet from the USD 10,000 ITF Men`s Futures tournament, here on Tuesday.
Yuki, who is coming into the event with a title win at a Challenger tourament in Australia, eased past his Ubzek rival 6-1 6-4 in just 59 minutes at R K Khanna Tennis stadium.
After being outplayed in first set, which lasted just 19 minutes, Shofayziyev curbed his errors even as his power-packed strokes lacked precision.
His sent down some powerful serves in the second set but struggled with his backhand returns.
Yuki did not even need to play at his best to beat Shofayziyev. The only blemish was facing a breakpoint in the ninth game of the second set.
There were only two games when the match looked like a contest -- second game of the second set when Shofayziyev held at 15 and the last game when the longest rally of the match was played. The Uzbek came back from 0-30, kept Yuki engaged in four deuces but finally buried a forehand to net at second match point to hand the Delhi boy win.
Yuki said he was delighted to play in his home city after a gap of two years. He also said that he needs to improve on his net play as he targets winning the wild card tourament for Australian Open next week in China.
Vardhan, who missed action for six months due to a knee injury, scored a 7-6 (4) 6-3 win in two hours and 13 minutes over Ranjeet.
Vardhan said it was good to play a tough match early in the tournament.
"I knew I will get a tough match. But I have played beaten Ranjeet before, so I was confident. Before this I played a few tournaments in Africa (Gabon) after rehabilitation in Mumbai but the pain resurfaced, so again I took a one month lay-off.
"I played in Nigeria and those were testing events. Now I am back to playing well and I certainly want to get my ranking back," Vardhan, who was 262 on ATP chart last year in September but now placed 720, said.
Second seed Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan brushed aside the challenge of Vignesh Peranamallur 6-2 6-2 in one hour and six minutes while Ashwin Vijayragavan lost 2-6 3-6 to Chinese Taipei's Jui-Chen Hung.
Ronak Manuja was sent packing 0-6 4-6 by Swiss Luca Margaroli in just 55 minutes but Vinayak Sharma Kaza advanced to the second round with a 6-2 6-3 win over Sri Lanka's Dineshkanthan Thangarajah.
Eighth seed Daniliar Duldaev prevailed over Swiss Jannis Liniger 6-3 2-6 6-2 after a two hour and 10 minutes tussle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra