Elena Vesnina wins first WTA title in Hobart
Hobart: Russia`s Elena Vesnina won the first WTA singles title of her career here Saturday, beating Mona Barthel of Germany in straight sets in the final.
World No. 68 Vesnina, who had lost her six previous WTA finals, defeated ninth seed Barthel 6-3, 6-4 in a match that saw seven breaks of serve.
Vesnina was helped by accurate serving, winning 78 percent of points on her first serve.
On the way to winning the tournament, Vesnina had earlier beaten seeded players Yaroslava Shvedova and Sloane Stephens.
The $235,000 Hobart International is one of the last two WTA warm-up events for the Australian Open, which starts Monday.
In Melbourne, Vesnina will play France`s Caroline Garcia in the first round, while Barthel is seeded 32nd and faces Kazakhstan`s Ksenia Pervak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon