Elena Vesnina wins first WTA title in Hobart
Hobart: Russia`s Elena Vesnina won the first WTA singles title of her career here Saturday, beating Mona Barthel of Germany in straight sets in the final.
World No. 68 Vesnina, who had lost her six previous WTA finals, defeated ninth seed Barthel 6-3, 6-4 in a match that saw seven breaks of serve.
Vesnina was helped by accurate serving, winning 78 percent of points on her first serve.
On the way to winning the tournament, Vesnina had earlier beaten seeded players Yaroslava Shvedova and Sloane Stephens.
The $235,000 Hobart International is one of the last two WTA warm-up events for the Australian Open, which starts Monday.
In Melbourne, Vesnina will play France`s Caroline Garcia in the first round, while Barthel is seeded 32nd and faces Kazakhstan`s Ksenia Pervak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'