Elena Vesnina wins first WTA title in Hobart
Hobart: Russia`s Elena Vesnina won the first WTA singles title of her career here Saturday, beating Mona Barthel of Germany in straight sets in the final.
World No. 68 Vesnina, who had lost her six previous WTA finals, defeated ninth seed Barthel 6-3, 6-4 in a match that saw seven breaks of serve.
Vesnina was helped by accurate serving, winning 78 percent of points on her first serve.
On the way to winning the tournament, Vesnina had earlier beaten seeded players Yaroslava Shvedova and Sloane Stephens.
The $235,000 Hobart International is one of the last two WTA warm-up events for the Australian Open, which starts Monday.
In Melbourne, Vesnina will play France`s Caroline Garcia in the first round, while Barthel is seeded 32nd and faces Kazakhstan`s Ksenia Pervak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!