Fabio Fognini extends German Stuttgart curse
Berlin: Italy`s Fabio Fognini bounced back to claim a 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 win in Sunday`s final of the Stuttgart ATP tournament as Philipp Kohlschreiber failed to break the 22-year-old German curse on the event.
Former Wimbledon champion Michael Stich remains the only German to have won the Stuttgart tournament in 1991 after Fognini, 26, converted his first match point after two hours to beat Kohlschreiber and claim his first win on the ATP tour.
Germany had been a happy hunting ground for the 29-year-old Kohlschreiber, who has won three of his four ATP titles on home soil, but his serve failed him in the final, giving his opponent 15 break points during the match.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan