Fabio Fognini extends German Stuttgart curse
Berlin: Italy`s Fabio Fognini bounced back to claim a 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 win in Sunday`s final of the Stuttgart ATP tournament as Philipp Kohlschreiber failed to break the 22-year-old German curse on the event.
Former Wimbledon champion Michael Stich remains the only German to have won the Stuttgart tournament in 1991 after Fognini, 26, converted his first match point after two hours to beat Kohlschreiber and claim his first win on the ATP tour.
Germany had been a happy hunting ground for the 29-year-old Kohlschreiber, who has won three of his four ATP titles on home soil, but his serve failed him in the final, giving his opponent 15 break points during the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam