Fabio Fognini extends German Stuttgart curse
Berlin: Italy`s Fabio Fognini bounced back to claim a 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 win in Sunday`s final of the Stuttgart ATP tournament as Philipp Kohlschreiber failed to break the 22-year-old German curse on the event.
Former Wimbledon champion Michael Stich remains the only German to have won the Stuttgart tournament in 1991 after Fognini, 26, converted his first match point after two hours to beat Kohlschreiber and claim his first win on the ATP tour.
Germany had been a happy hunting ground for the 29-year-old Kohlschreiber, who has won three of his four ATP titles on home soil, but his serve failed him in the final, giving his opponent 15 break points during the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!