Federer comes through tough match in Rotterdam
Rotterdam: Top seed Roger Federer struggled to defeat Finn Jarkko Nieminen 7-5, 7-6 on Friday to reach the semi-finals of the World Indoor Tournament.
The Swiss, who is this week making his first appearance in the Dutch port city since he won the title in 2005, lacked rhythm against the unseeded Nieminen.
Former world number one Federer came back from 40-0 down in the 11th game to break serve on the indoor carpet and then had to rely on the tie-break to clinch victory in the second set.
"It was a tough match but important to get through," he told reporters. "I am still getting used to the surface and tonight I struggled with my timing in the rallies.”
"But I also have to give credit to Jarkko the way he played. He was really aggressive and even on his second serve he kept attacking."
Federer, the world number three, next meets Nikolay Davydenko after the unseeded Russian put out fifth-seeded Frenchman Richard Gasquet 7-5, 6-3.
Second-seeded Czech Tomas Berdych also went through with a 6-3, 6-4 triumph over Italian Andreas Seppi.
Berdych now faces third seed Juan Martin Del Potro after the Argentine thrashed seventh-seeded Serb Viktor Troicki 6-0, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months