Federer delivers crushing victory over Stepanek
Monte Carlo: Roger Federer delivered a 6-1, 6-2 thrashing to fellow veteran Radek Stepanek as the fourth seed powered through his opening match at the Monte Carlo Masters on Wednesday.
The Swiss, who has never won the title at the seaside Monte Carlo Country Club, will next face off for a quarter-final spot on Thursday when he takes on Lukas Rosol.
The Czech booked his spot over Frenchman Michael Llodra 6-4, 6-4.
Federer`s rout in 52 minutes was seven minutes longer than another easy victory by holder Novak Djokovic a day earlier.
Top seed and eight-time champion Rafael Nadal, runner-up to Djokovic in last year`s final, was beginning his week against Teimuraz Gabashvili of Russia.
Australian Open champion and third seed Stanislas Wawrinka was taking on Croatian Marin Cilic.
Federer improved to 14-2 over Stepanek, 35, whose last victory in the series came in Rome six years ago.
Federer, 32, swept the first set in 22 minutes and faced his only spot of bother as he saved a pair of break points in the sixth game of the second set.
The winner was aided by five Stepanek double-faults, with Federer breaking four times.
The Swiss won an ATP Tour-leading 25th match of the season.
Canadian eighth seed Milos Raonic duplicated his best showing in the principality with a 6-7 (4/7), 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Taiwan`s Yen Lu-Hsun.
Italian tenth seed Fabio Fognini beat Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain 7-6 (8/6), 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery