Federer delivers crushing victory over Stepanek
Monte Carlo: Roger Federer delivered a 6-1, 6-2 thrashing to fellow veteran Radek Stepanek as the fourth seed powered through his opening match at the Monte Carlo Masters on Wednesday.
The Swiss, who has never won the title at the seaside Monte Carlo Country Club, will next face off for a quarter-final spot on Thursday when he takes on Lukas Rosol.
The Czech booked his spot over Frenchman Michael Llodra 6-4, 6-4.
Federer`s rout in 52 minutes was seven minutes longer than another easy victory by holder Novak Djokovic a day earlier.
Top seed and eight-time champion Rafael Nadal, runner-up to Djokovic in last year`s final, was beginning his week against Teimuraz Gabashvili of Russia.
Australian Open champion and third seed Stanislas Wawrinka was taking on Croatian Marin Cilic.
Federer improved to 14-2 over Stepanek, 35, whose last victory in the series came in Rome six years ago.
Federer, 32, swept the first set in 22 minutes and faced his only spot of bother as he saved a pair of break points in the sixth game of the second set.
The winner was aided by five Stepanek double-faults, with Federer breaking four times.
The Swiss won an ATP Tour-leading 25th match of the season.
Canadian eighth seed Milos Raonic duplicated his best showing in the principality with a 6-7 (4/7), 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Taiwan`s Yen Lu-Hsun.
Italian tenth seed Fabio Fognini beat Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain 7-6 (8/6), 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them