Federer into Paris Masters final
Paris: Roger Federer defeated Tomas Berdych 6-4, 6-3 on Saturday to reach the final of the Paris Masters for the first time in his career.
The 30-year-old Swiss holder of 16 Grand Slam titles will play on Sunday the winner of the other semi-final which sees 2008 winner Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France take on giant American John Isner.
A break of serve in the first game of each set was all the former world No.1 needed to see off the challenge of Berdych who beat second seed Andy Murray in a marathon quarter-final on Friday.
The day after chalking up the 800th match win of his career, Federer made a storming start against a player who had given him problems in the past.
He immediately had the big Czech on the defensive and clinched a first break of serve when a rasping cross-court forehand forced an error.
The third seed powered through his own serve and had a break point to go 3-0 up in the next game before Berdych finally started to find his range.
Federer, though, was comfortable on his own serve and took the first set 6-4 despite a double fault at 40-15 ahead in the 10th game.
Berdych stumbled again at the start of the second set handing Federer two break points by netting an easy-looking overhead smash and he then netted a routine forehand from the baseline.
Federer, who won just his second tournament of the year last week in his hometown of Basel, smoothly moved 2-0 up and he never looked like being caught from there on in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened