Federer loses to Bellucci in Brazilian debut
Sao Paulo: World No.2 Roger Federer lost to Brazil`s Thomaz Bellucci for the first time in his career, falling 5-7, 6-3, 4-6 in an entertaining exhibition match.
World No.33 Bellucci delighted his home fans, who provided a carnival atmosphere by chanting and singing throughout the duel Thursday, Xinhua reports.
After taking a tense first set by holding serve in the 12th game, Bellucci conceded the second set and went a break down early in the third.
But he responded by breaking back before holding serve in the 10th game to spoil Federer`s hopes of winning his first match in Brazil.
"It`s always great to play in front of a full house," Bellucci said after the match.
"It`s a special feeling to play this guy (Federer) here. He is the best of all time and it was a pleasure to share the court with him."
Federer thanked fans for their support and praised the treatment he had received since arriving in Brazil.
"I am very happy to be here. It took me a while to finally come to Brazil," Federer said. "Everybody has been really good to me and I can`t thank you all enough for showing your support."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state