Federer says fit, confident ahead of Australian Open
Sydney: Tennis superstar Roger Federer said Saturday his confidence was up and his body energised as he prepares for the 2014 season with former world number one Stefan Edberg in his coaching team.
Federer, the record 17-time Grand Slam title winner, revealed Friday that his childhood hero Edberg would work with him and coach Severin Luthi for 10 weeks starting at the Australian Open in January.
Touching down in Australia on Saturday, where he will play at the Brisbane International from next week, 32-year-old Federer said he had had a rare off-season free of niggling injuries and was looking forward to challenging the world`s best.
"I was able to do more than I thought which is very encouraging," he told journalists.
"I didn`t play any exhibitions which allowed me to train extremely hard and for a longer period of time.
"It`s the first time in a year that I could practice three, four weeks in a row without any setbacks which has been the problem the last one-and-a-half years.
"Every time I had training (in the past) I had setbacks, little aches and pains, especially in the back from time to time... which cost me confidence.
"These last few months have been important for me, feeling that movement is not an issue any more and I can go full out especially mentally more than anything."
Edberg had been hitting with Federer over the winter as the Swiss gears up for what could be a make-or-break season given the former world number one`s ranking is now down at six after he failed to make a major final for the first time since 2002.
Federer, whose last Grand Slam title came at Wimbledon in 2012, split with longtime coach Paul Annacone in October. He will play the Brisbane International ahead of January`s Australian Open in Melbourne.
"My goals are pretty simple for Brisbane and Melbourne -- you want to do as well as you can and get into the groove again because the off-season was a bit longer this time around," Federer said.
"After that I will look at what my goals regarding rankings and tournament wins, but they are pretty much going to be the same -- I want to be part of the best, and hopefully beat the best players in the game."
Federer revealed on Christmas Eve that he and wife Mirka are expecting another baby in 2014 to join twins Charlene and Myla who were born in 2009.
"We are just going to go with it. I am not going to reveal any dates or anything," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks