Federer suffers shock defeat against Hewitt in Halle
Halle: Roger Federer suffered a shock defeat by Lleyton Hewitt in the final of the Halle grasscourt event on Sunday, losing 3-6 7-6 6-4 to the Australian.
The result was totally unexpected since six-times Wimbledon champion Federer had not lost a match at Halle since 2002, winning the title five times, and had beaten Hewitt in their last 15 showdowns.
Hewitt, a former Wimbledon champion himself, ended the two hour 20 minute contest when his forehand hit the net tape and dropped dead on Federer’s side.
Before Sunday, Federer had been defeated on grass just once since 2003, that coming in the 2008 Wimbledon final against Rafael Nadal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress