Federer thrashes del Potro to make semi-finals
Melbourne: Roger Federer toppled Argentine giant Juan Martin Del Potro 6-4 6-3 6-2 with some exquisite shot-making to reach the semi-finals of the Australian Open on Tuesday.
The Swiss, chasing a 17th grand slam crown and sixth in Melbourne, was never seriously threatened in their first meeting in a major since losing to del Potro in the 2009 U.S. Open final.
In scorching heat at Rod Laver Arena, third seed Federer survived four break points before closing out the second set in his only wobble of an otherwise dominant display.
Normal service resumed, Federer broke the 11th-seeded del Potro twice to motor through the third set and sealed the match with an imperious backhand winner.
Federer will play the winner of great rival Rafa Nadal and Czech seventh seed Tomas Berdych in the last four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane