Federer thrashes del Potro to make semi-finals
Melbourne: Roger Federer toppled Argentine giant Juan Martin Del Potro 6-4 6-3 6-2 with some exquisite shot-making to reach the semi-finals of the Australian Open on Tuesday.
The Swiss, chasing a 17th grand slam crown and sixth in Melbourne, was never seriously threatened in their first meeting in a major since losing to del Potro in the 2009 U.S. Open final.
In scorching heat at Rod Laver Arena, third seed Federer survived four break points before closing out the second set in his only wobble of an otherwise dominant display.
Normal service resumed, Federer broke the 11th-seeded del Potro twice to motor through the third set and sealed the match with an imperious backhand winner.
Federer will play the winner of great rival Rafa Nadal and Czech seventh seed Tomas Berdych in the last four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh