Federer thrashes del Potro to make semi-finals
Melbourne: Roger Federer toppled Argentine giant Juan Martin Del Potro 6-4 6-3 6-2 with some exquisite shot-making to reach the semi-finals of the Australian Open on Tuesday.
The Swiss, chasing a 17th grand slam crown and sixth in Melbourne, was never seriously threatened in their first meeting in a major since losing to del Potro in the 2009 U.S. Open final.
In scorching heat at Rod Laver Arena, third seed Federer survived four break points before closing out the second set in his only wobble of an otherwise dominant display.
Normal service resumed, Federer broke the 11th-seeded del Potro twice to motor through the third set and sealed the match with an imperious backhand winner.
Federer will play the winner of great rival Rafa Nadal and Czech seventh seed Tomas Berdych in the last four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today