Federer to face Isner in Davis Cup singles
Fribourg (Switzerland): Roger Federer will face John Isner in the second singles match on Friday when Switzerland take on the United States in the first round of the Davis Cup.
Switzerland`s 28th-ranked Stanislas Wawrinka opens the series against eighth-ranked Mardy Fish on the indoor clay courts at 7,000-capacity Fribourg Forum.
Isner lost both matches he played Federer, each time on hard courts, and said he aims to serve well and play quick points.
"I don`t want to be getting in 15-ball rallies with Roger from the baseline `cause that probably won`t bode well for me," the 17th-ranked Isner said. "I`m going to need to play aggressive, play-first strike tennis and see how it goes."
Fish, who has a 2-0 career record against Wawrinka, is satisfied to be opening the series.
"I would prefer to play first. On a team note, I would like to try to get the team off to a good start," Fish said.
In Sunday`s scheduled reverse singles, the third-ranked Federer is set to face Fish, followed by Wawrinka against Isner.
US captain Jim Courier will give 19-year-old Ryan Harrison a Davis Cup debut on Saturday, partnering Mike Bryan in doubles against Federer and Wawrinka, who won Olympic gold in doubles in Beijing.
Still, that plan could alter depending how deep Fish and Isner go in their singles matches.
"We`ll see as we go," Courier said. "That`s the team we are nominating now, but certainly things can change given whatever happens (Friday)."
Bryan`s twin brother, Bob, is unavailable after his first child was born last week.
The US has a 2-1 edge on Switzerland in Davis Cup encounters, though each series went with home advantage on hard courts.
The Americans` dream team of Courier, Andre Aggasi, John McEnroe and Pete Sampras won the 1992 final played at Fort Worth, Texas, and a first-round series when Federer was unavailable in 2009 at Birmingham, Alabama.
A 19-year-old Federer won all three of his rubbers to lead the Swiss to victory in a 2001 first-round match in his home city Basel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday