Ferrer, Djokovic win semifinal in Abu Dhabi
Dubai: David Ferrer won the semifinal against his fellow Spaniard Rafael Nadal clear in two sets, while Serbia`s Novak Djokovic was victorious over Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Friday, the second day of the Mubadala World Championship in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Ferrer beat Nadal 6-4, 6-4 in late afternoon. Ferrer said in aired interview on Abu Dhabi television he felt sorry for Nadal as "he did not play for a while", a leading news agency reported.
Nadal, currently the world`s number one in men`s tennis, returned to the court in February this year after he was forced to pause for 222 consecutive days due to a knee injury.
Later in the day, the world`s number two Djokovic kicked Tsonga out of the tournament by winning 7-6 and 6-3.
Under the eyes of his new trainer, German tennis legend Boris Becker, Djokovic improved his playing and left Tsonga in the second set few chances to endanger his victory.
"Djoker" as his fans call the Serbian tennis ace, who won in his career six Grand Slam titles so far, announced Dec 19 that Becker would become his new coach.
Ferrer and Djokovic will play the final of Mubadala World Tennis Championship Saturday. The winner will receive $250,000 prize money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras
- Uproar in Rajya Sabha over attack on women in Madhya Pradesh for carrying beef
- Billboard 200 albums chart: Drake's 'Views' remains on top for 11th time