Ferrer survives as seeds tumble in Auckland
Auckland: Defending champion David Ferrer survived a scare to reach the quarter-finals of the Auckland Open on Wednesday, as four seeded players exited early in a day of upsets.
The Spanish world number three, top seed this year at the tournament he has won four times, recovered from a sluggish start to down American qualifier Donald Young 6-7 (5/7), 6-3, 6-1
"It was difficult, I started off very bad making a lot of mistakes," Ferrer said.
"In the second set I tried to play more focussed, be myself and it worked. In the third one, I could play my tennis."
German second seed Tommy Haas could not conjure a similar escape, beaten 6-4, 6-4 by big-hitting American wildcard Jack Sock.
Haas`s compatriot Daniel Brands, seeded ninth, lost 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 to another American Bradley Klahn, while California native Steve Johnson was responsible for ousting two high-profile names from the tournament.
Johnson overcame Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis 7-5, 6-7 (3/7), 6-4 in a first-round match rescheduled from Tuesday due to rain, then a few hours later beat South African fourth seed Kevin Anderson 7-5, 6-4.
French sixth seed Benoit Paire lost 6-3, 6-4 to Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain.
Both third seed John Isner of the United States and German fifth seed Philipp Kohlschreiber emerged from their second round encounters unscathed.
However the pair will meet in the quarter finals on Thursday, further opening the draw as Ferrer chases a record-breaking fifth Auckland title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog