Ferrer to meet Almagro in all-Spanish Buenos Aires final
Buenos Aires: World number five David Ferrer overwhelmed local favourite David Nalbandian 6-1, 6-4 on Saturday and will meet holder Nicolas Almagro in Sunday`s all-Spanish Buenos Aires Open final.
Number two seed Almagro beat Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 in the first semi-final before top seed Ferrer`s crushing victory, which included a rain delay, in the claycourt tournament in windy conditions.
Ferrer, runner-up two years ago, was always in control against former world number three Nalbandian, who was looking to boost his ranking from his current 85th place in a bid to qualify for the London Olympic games.
The Spaniard, who has yet to drop a set in the tournament, won on his third match point after Nalbandian had saved two when 3-5 down in the previous game.
Nalbandian attempted a drop shot which Ferrer just managed to reach to lift the ball over the Argentine and into the corner for the victory.
"Everything I did came out perfectly. David (Nalbandian) maybe didn`t have a very good day and I was able to take advantage of that," Ferrer said in a courtside interview.
On the change in the weather that occurred during the first set and brought the wind, Ferrer added: "Those are things that can happen and you have to be able to overcome them."
Almagro, pushed all the way by Wawrinka in a very even duel, won on his first match point when the Swiss sixth seed`s forehand return found the net.
"We both played at a very high level, it was decided by small differences," said world number 11 Almagro, who is now one win from repeating his 2011 back-to-back Brazil Open and Buenos Aires Open victories.
"I`m happy because last year I achieved something very important in my career and I knew it would be very difficult (to repeat it)," said the 26-year-old.
"I`ve won a match that in the long term, during the year, will do me a lot of good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read