Four-time winner Caroline Wozniacki ousted at New Haven
New York: Italy`s Camila Giorgi upset four-time champion Caroline Wozniacki 6-4, 6-2 on Wednesday to reach the quarter-finals of the WTA Connecticut Open, a final US Open warm-up hardcourt event.
Giorgi dispatched the former world number one in 78 minutes to book a last-eight date with Spain`s Garbine Muguruza, who eliminated Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in another second-round match.
Giorgi, ranked 38th, also ousted Wozniacki in last year`s US Open but lost their only other meeting this year at Eastbourne.
Wozniacki, whose best Grand Slam showing was a 2009 US Open runner-up effort, won the title at New Haven from 2008-2011, but saw her record at the Yale University event dip to 24-3.
The 24-year-old Dane`s only prior losses since Wimbledon came in three-set battles with world number one Serena Williams in Montreal and Cincinnati.
"I knew I was going to get limited break chances and when I did get them, I didn`t convert," Wozniacki said. "I knew I had to be aggressive out there and try to push her back, but I didn`t manage to do that. She played well and I didn`t."
The defeat does allow Wozniacki a few extra days to prepare for the year`s final Grand Slam event which starts on Monday.
"I would have loved to have been here longer, but it wasn`t to be this year," Wozniacki said. "Now I just need to take the positives out of it. I get a few extra days to rest up and practice for the US Open."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof