French Open 2012: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out
Paris: India`s Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi reached their maiden French Open mixed doubles final but Leander Paes and his Russian partner Elena Vesnina were knocked out of the event here Wednesday.
Mirza and Bhupathi outplayed Galina Voskoboeva and Danielle Bracciali 6-4, 6-2 to enter the mixed doubles final. They will face the Polish-Mexcian combine of Klaudia Jans-Ignacik and Santiago Gonzalez in the title clash at the Roland Garros.
The unseeded pair of Klaudia and Santiago caused a shocking upset beating the fifth seeded pair of Paes and Vesnina 7-6 (7-2), 6-3.
Meanwhile earlier in the day, the seventh-seeded pair of Mirza and Bhupathi beat the Kazakh-Italian pair of Voskoboeva and Bracciali in a battle that lasted under 70 minutes.
Sania-Bhupathi got on the board breaking their opponents` serve in the very first game of the match. Bhupathi struggled with his serve early on as Voskoboeva-Bracciali immediately broke back for 1-1.
The Indians lifted their level of play as the set progressed, with Bhupathi finding his rhythm. Sania played solid throughout the set, serving well and using her dangerous forehand for desired results. Bhupathi closed out the set with an ace.
The first set lasting 39 minutes saw Indians converting half of their six break points while Voskoboeva and Bracciali cashed in on the two opportunities that came their way.
Sania-Bhupathi showed their class in the second set as Voskoboeva-Bracciali ran out of steam.
Bhupathi`s only mixed doubles title at Roland Garros came in 1997 when he partnered Japan`s Rika Hiraki. Sania is yet to win here in the mixed doubles event. She reached the women`s doubles final in 2011 with Vesnina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!