French Open: A brief history
French Open or the Tournoi de Roland-Garros is one of the world`s four major tennis tournaments. The tournament is fully deserving of its reputation as the world`s premier clay court event.
The tournament is held over two weeks between mid-May and early June in Paris. In the tennis calendar it is the second grand slam of the year.
The arena that stages French Open, the Roland-Garros, was built in 1928. The men`s singles championship in France, however, goes back much further than that. It started in the year 1891 and was exclusively reserved for members of French clubs back then. The women`s singles were added six years later. It was in 1925 that the French Tennis Federation decided to open the event to the best foreign players. Before the Roland Garros stadium was built the tournament was staged alternately at Stade Français and Racing Club de France.
Roland-Garros is named after the French aviation pioneer by the same name who became the first man to fly a plane over the Mediterranean.
Roland-Garros was cancelled from 1940 to 1945 due to the Second World War. It was only in 1968 that the French Internationals became the first Grand Slam tournament to join the "Open" era.
Björn Borg ruled the Centre Court at Roland Garros like none else as he won the title a record six times. Other greats of the men`s game at French Open included Ivan Lendl, Mats Wilander and more recently Gustavo Kuerten.
In the women’s singles Steffi Graf delighted French fans like no other by winning six titles with her last being in 1999. Monica Seles proved to be unstoppable in 1990, 91, and 92.
Mary Pierce (2000) among the women and Yannick Noah (1983) in the men`s event were the last French winners of the clay crown.
The tournament in 2011 was won by Rafael Nadal (men’s singles). Li Na is the defending champion in the women’s category this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi