Gael Monfils withdraws from Washington event
Washington: France`s Gael Monfils has withdrawn from next week`s ATP and WTA tennis tournament in Washington with a nagging right knee injury, organizers said Friday.
The announcement came five days after Monfils, ranked 23rd in the world, abruptly pulled out on the opening day of the ATP tournament in Atlanta, where he was the number three seed.
Monfils, beaten in the quarter-finals of Roland Garros by Andy Murray, hasn`t played since falling to Czech Jiri Vesely in the second round at Wimbledon.
His withdrawal from next week`s event will deny him valuable hardcourt competition ahead of the final Grand Slam of the year, the US Open that starts at Flushing Meadows on August 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon