Gael Monfils withdraws from Washington event
Washington: France`s Gael Monfils has withdrawn from next week`s ATP and WTA tennis tournament in Washington with a nagging right knee injury, organizers said Friday.
The announcement came five days after Monfils, ranked 23rd in the world, abruptly pulled out on the opening day of the ATP tournament in Atlanta, where he was the number three seed.
Monfils, beaten in the quarter-finals of Roland Garros by Andy Murray, hasn`t played since falling to Czech Jiri Vesely in the second round at Wimbledon.
His withdrawal from next week`s event will deny him valuable hardcourt competition ahead of the final Grand Slam of the year, the US Open that starts at Flushing Meadows on August 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra Show to focus on building new enterprise
- DNA: Today in History, 26th August, 2016
- Space X Dragon successfully splashes down in Pacific Ocean with crucial NASA research samples
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured