Gael Monfils withdraws from Washington event
Washington: France`s Gael Monfils has withdrawn from next week`s ATP and WTA tennis tournament in Washington with a nagging right knee injury, organizers said Friday.
The announcement came five days after Monfils, ranked 23rd in the world, abruptly pulled out on the opening day of the ATP tournament in Atlanta, where he was the number three seed.
Monfils, beaten in the quarter-finals of Roland Garros by Andy Murray, hasn`t played since falling to Czech Jiri Vesely in the second round at Wimbledon.
His withdrawal from next week`s event will deny him valuable hardcourt competition ahead of the final Grand Slam of the year, the US Open that starts at Flushing Meadows on August 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bernie Sanders says Hillary Clinton `must become` next US president
- GST deadlock: Arun Jaitley to meet state finance ministers today
- Olympic Village repairs could take all week: Brazil
- Wayne Rooney still key to England plans, says Sam Allardyce
- Maharashtra ATS identifies 270 URLs showing IS activities, asks Centre to block them