Gael Montfils leads charge of the seeds in Hamburg
Hamburg: France`s Gael Montfils led the way as the top seeds advanced to the third round of the ATP Hamburg clay-court tournament.
Top seed Monfils bounced back from his first round elimination in Stuttgart last week to brush aside Spanish qualifier Albert Ramos 6-4, 6-2 and set up a meeting with Czech Radek Stepanek, who ousted Italian 13th seed Andreas Seppi 6-1, 7-5.
Second seeded Austrian Jurgen Melzer, last year`s finalist, needed three sets however to get past Spaniard Daniel Gimeno 6-3, 5-7, 6-1.
Third seed Nicolas Almagro, a two-time quarter-finalist, beat lucky loser Lukas Rosol 6-4, 6-4 as German sixth seed Florian Mayer saw off Turkish qualifier Marsel Ilhan 6-4, 7-6 (7/5).
The only seed to tumble on Wednesday was Serb Janko Tipsarevic, seeded ninth, who was crushed 6-2, 6-4 by Argentina`s Juan Monaco.
Germany`s 168th-ranked Cedrik-Marcel Stebe, who ousted defending champion Andrey Golubev of Kazakhstan in the first round beat 11th seed Nikolai Davydenko of Russia 6-3, 7-6 (7/5) and will next play Spaniard Fernando Verdasco.
Croatian 12th seed Marin Cilic battled past 187th-ranked German qualifier Bastian Knittel 6-3, 6-7 (4/7), 6-4 in three hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi