German No.1 Petkovic to miss French Open, Wimbledon
Berlin: Germany`s No.1 tennis player Andrea Petkovic ruptured her ligaments and will be sidelined for three months to miss both the French Open and Wimbledon.
The 24-year-old world No.12, who`s just making her comeback from a back injury, badly twisted her right ankle during her second round tie against world No.1 Victoria Azarenka Thursday night.
Scans at hospital in Stuttgart Friday revealed that Petkovic has torn two ligaments and damaged a third in her right ankle and may need a surgery, reports Xinhua.
"I have to start the recovery process all over again," said the quarter-finalist of last season`s Australian, French and US Open. "As a professional athlete, there are always setbacks, but an injury like this is painful."
Petkovic, however, may yet be able to play at the London Olympic Games, which take place from July 27-August 12.
The Grand Slam tournament at Roland Garros starts in Paris May 27, while Wimbledon begins June 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000