Germany stun Australia to remain in Davis Cup World Group
Berlin: Germany staged a remarkable comeback against Australia to turn a 1-2 deficit into a 3-2 victory to retain a berth in the Davis Cup World Group in Hamburg, Germany.
Florian Mayer cruised to a straight 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Bernard Tomic to make it two all Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Youngster Cedrik Marcel Stebe finally sealed the win for Germany with a stunning victory over Lleyton Hewitt in three straight sets 6-4, 6-1, 6-4.
Stebe, world No.127, started with 0-3 deficit into the first set but remained unfazed to win against world No.75.
"It is the biggest success of my career," Stebe said after the win.
Thus Germany ensured their berth at the World Group, Australia stay another year in Asia/Oceania Zone Group I.
"This victory calls for a celebration," Germany tennis team manager Patrick Kuehnen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!