Germany stun Australia to remain in Davis Cup World Group
Berlin: Germany staged a remarkable comeback against Australia to turn a 1-2 deficit into a 3-2 victory to retain a berth in the Davis Cup World Group in Hamburg, Germany.
Florian Mayer cruised to a straight 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Bernard Tomic to make it two all Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Youngster Cedrik Marcel Stebe finally sealed the win for Germany with a stunning victory over Lleyton Hewitt in three straight sets 6-4, 6-1, 6-4.
Stebe, world No.127, started with 0-3 deficit into the first set but remained unfazed to win against world No.75.
"It is the biggest success of my career," Stebe said after the win.
Thus Germany ensured their berth at the World Group, Australia stay another year in Asia/Oceania Zone Group I.
"This victory calls for a celebration," Germany tennis team manager Patrick Kuehnen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video