Germany stun Australia to remain in Davis Cup World Group
Berlin: Germany staged a remarkable comeback against Australia to turn a 1-2 deficit into a 3-2 victory to retain a berth in the Davis Cup World Group in Hamburg, Germany.
Florian Mayer cruised to a straight 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Bernard Tomic to make it two all Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Youngster Cedrik Marcel Stebe finally sealed the win for Germany with a stunning victory over Lleyton Hewitt in three straight sets 6-4, 6-1, 6-4.
Stebe, world No.127, started with 0-3 deficit into the first set but remained unfazed to win against world No.75.
"It is the biggest success of my career," Stebe said after the win.
Thus Germany ensured their berth at the World Group, Australia stay another year in Asia/Oceania Zone Group I.
"This victory calls for a celebration," Germany tennis team manager Patrick Kuehnen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?