Go Soeda ends Prakash`s good run at Chennai Open
Chennai: Indian qualifier Prakash Amritraj`s good run at the ATP Chennai Open ended today when he lost 6-7 (2) 6-3 4-6 to eighth seed Japanese Go Soeda in the hard-fought second round match, here.
Playing his fifth match today as he played three in the qualifiers, Amritraj lost the gruelling battle after two hours and 29 minutes.
Amritraj made a good comeback in the opening set after dropping his serve in the very first game as he took a 5-3 lead after two breaks.
Eventually, the set was stretched to the tie-breaker and Soeda, a semi finalist here last year, won it comfortably, conceding just two points to him.
However, Prakash cameback strong in the second set, raising his game by several notches. He stroked well and vollied beautifully.
His double-handed backhand strokes and passing shots stood out. He broke the Japanese twice -- third and ninth games -- to take the set in 43 minutes.
The third set was fought fiercely but Soeda`s experience counted. After getting a break back in the eight game, Soeda handled crucial points better and Amritraj succumbed to over aggression.
In another match, 23-year-old Slovenian Aljaz Bedene (ranked 86) caused a flutter by upsetting sixth seeded Robin Haase (ranked 56) of the Netherlands 7-5 6-3.
Trading breaks in the first two games, Bedene broke Haase in the 12th game for the set and then kept up the momentum to finish the match with an eighth game break.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon