Grand Slams my current priority, says Federer
Washington: Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer has claimed adding more titles to his already huge Grand Slam trophy cabinet is currently his priority over retaining world number one status. As Federer approaches the twilight of his glittering career, the 17-time major winner is prioritizing adding to that record haul over returning to the No. 1 spot.
After clinching a record-equalling seventh Wimbledon singles title last year, the Swiss maestro occupied the top berth for a 287th week, breaking the previous record held by U.S. icon Pete Sampras. While admitting reaching No. 1 for the first time in 2004 was a special achievement, when asked whether he would rather win grand titles or returning to the top, the current No. 2 replied at this stage in his career, it has to be Grand Slam titles.
Federer added last year, to get back to world No. 1 was incredible, but he thinks it is really the first time you get there, adding you cannot match that up with any other moment, maybe in your career, because it`s such a big thing. Federer said at this point in my career its titles, adding he has won a lot and he feels if he keep playing the way he is then he can still achieve a bit more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves