Grand Slams my current priority, says Federer
Washington: Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer has claimed adding more titles to his already huge Grand Slam trophy cabinet is currently his priority over retaining world number one status. As Federer approaches the twilight of his glittering career, the 17-time major winner is prioritizing adding to that record haul over returning to the No. 1 spot.
After clinching a record-equalling seventh Wimbledon singles title last year, the Swiss maestro occupied the top berth for a 287th week, breaking the previous record held by U.S. icon Pete Sampras. While admitting reaching No. 1 for the first time in 2004 was a special achievement, when asked whether he would rather win grand titles or returning to the top, the current No. 2 replied at this stage in his career, it has to be Grand Slam titles.
Federer added last year, to get back to world No. 1 was incredible, but he thinks it is really the first time you get there, adding you cannot match that up with any other moment, maybe in your career, because it`s such a big thing. Federer said at this point in my career its titles, adding he has won a lot and he feels if he keep playing the way he is then he can still achieve a bit more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- WATCH: BRILLIANT! This airline's touching gesture on Dipa Karmakar's arrival in Agartala
- Happy to be working during pregnancy: Kareena Kapoor Khan
- Pfizer says acquiring biotech firm Medivation for $14 billion
- Asian Filmmaker award posthumously for Abbas Kiarostami at Busan
- Infosys denies laying off 500 people, says 'few' asked to leave for non-performance