Gulbis wins Delray Beach ATP title
Florida: Latvia`s Ernests Gulbis has won the ATP 250 tennis tournament in Delray Beach here, propelling him up the new rankings published Monday.
Gulbis defeated France`s Edouard Roger-Vasselin 7-6(3), 6-3 in the first ATP final since 2007 to be contested between two players outside the top 100, and as a result rises 42 places to world No.67.
"I`m really happy. I worked hard," qualifier Gulbis said on the ATP website after winning in Delray Beach for the second time, following his first victory in 2010.
"These last nine days were tough. I had a match almost every day, except one day when it rained, so I`m exhausted now. It`s my favourite tournament. It`s the only tournament in the world I am winning."
Roger-Vasselin, in his first Tour final, missed set point in the first set and was gracious in defeat.
"He deserved the win," the Frenchman said on the ATP website.
"I thought I served pretty well. I had a set point but he made an unbelievable backhand winner. When you lose in a final, it`s tough, but it was a great week for me. It will give me confidence for the next tournament."
Roger-Vasselin`s appearance in the final lifts him 27 spots in the rankings to 78th. Delray Beach is played on hard courts with a $455,000 prize fund.
Elsewhere in Monday`s rankings, the top ten remains the same, with Novak Djokovic extending his lead as world No.1 after winning the Dubai Championships, ahead of Roger Federer and Andy Murray.
The highest-ranked player to move is Spain`s Nicolas Almagro, up one place to 11th, displacing Croatia`s Marin Cilic. Further down, Canada`s Milos Raonic pushes past Stanislas Wawrinka to take 17th following the Swiss No.2`s first-round exit in Acapulco last week.
Notable movers include former world No.3 Nikolay Davydenko, up four spots to 42nd, and Germany`s Daniel Brands, rising 23 spots to 74th because of a run to the quarterfinals in Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city