Haas overcomes wildcard Britton in San Jose
San Jose: Germany`s Tommy Haas cruised into the second round of the USD 530,000 San Jose Open with a 6-4, 7-6 victory over local wildcard Devin Britton.
The fourth seed, playing for the first time since his third-round defeat to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the Australian Open, rallied after trailing in the second set to wrap up a convincing victory over the American teenager.
Britton, who lost to Roger Federer as a wild card in the first round of the U.S. Open last year, fired 15 aces during the match before 31-year-old Haas`s experience told in the second-set tiebreak.
Top seed Andy Roddick, who is chasing a fourth title in nine appearances at the hardcourt tournament, plays local qualifier Ryler Deheart in the first round on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP